Friday, November 14, 2008

Bedrest

A triplet pregnancy is not easy. During my pregnancy, I had many moments of ‘singleton jealousy’. Oh, how I envied those mothers-to-be who could work out, attend prenatal yoga and confidently shop for their baby. From the moment we found out that we were expecting triplets, I was not permitted to exercise and it was recommended that I stay off my feet as much as possible. By 20 weeks, walking was limited to around the house. I was admitted to the hospital at 25 weeks, where I stayed until the boys were born at 31 weeks, 2 days.
The bedrest was difficult both physically and emotionally. We worried a lot that our boys would be born very early. When I was admitted to the hospital at 25 weeks, I was literally afraid to move for fear it would cause preterm labour. It was a very difficult time, but so worth the pain and fear. I cannot thank my friends and family enough for their support and visits.
The days were long in the hospital. The nurses generally monitored the babies' heartbeats once a day, and I would have an ultrasound about once a week. Other than that, I laid in bed, played cards (drove my mother and Daren crazy with that, I think), read, and took up rug hooking (still not finished, but maybe I'll get back to it when the boys move out!).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kyla! I love reading your blog! I'm sure being on bedrest for 6 weeks must have been really rough for you. I remember when we went into the hospital to visit you when you were very pregnant. I'm fascinated with multiples and I'm thrilled that I have three of the cutest triplets in the world in our family!

Keep Blogging!