Friday, November 14, 2008

How we found out we were having triplets

Daren and I actually found out we were expecting triplets by accident. In December 2006, it was discovered that I had a small cyst on one of my ovaries. I had a follow-up ultrasound scheduled in January. On the day of the ultrasound, we were pretty sure I was pregnant, but just barely. Since this ultrasound was not related to the newly discovered pregnancy and we did not expect to see anything, Daren just headed to work and I went to the ultrasound on my own.
During the ultrasound, the technician made many notes on her sheet of paper as she passed the wand over my abdomen. The silence was deafening. I started to get nervous and wondered if perhaps the cyst was more than a cyst. She asked me if I was taking any medication – no, only folic acid and vitamins. She continued to pass the wand over my stomach and silence again filled the room. I was really worried by that point. Finally, she told me she would like to show me the screen, but first, she wondered if multiple births ran in my family. No, I told her. She then moved the screen and showed me three little circles. Triplets, she said, and there they were. Of course, I was shocked, but at the time all I could think was that I was late for school and I didn't have a substitute. It just didn’t seem real. The doctor insisted that I at least call Daren and tell him. He was pretty calm, but I honestly don’t remember what he said.

1 comment:

BrieCor said...

Ok I know I'm an emotional loser lately for some reason, but I cried a little when I read about you finding out about the triplets haha. And then laughed when you said you were more worried about being late for school haha.