Saturday, November 22, 2008

Temper Tantrums?

Callum and Jack started having what I think are temper tantrums a couple of weeks ago. William gets upset from time to time, but his reason is usually quite obvious and he is quick to recover. Callum's tantrums are generally short but very loud. They are usually due to frustration over a toy that is not doing what he wants it to do, or the theft of a toy by one of his brothers. He will scream and bite the offending toy or lay on the floor and cry his heart out. Jack's tantrums are similar but much longer in duration. He definitely gets points for longevity.

The two most trying aspects of these tantrums for me are trying to settle stolen toy wars and trying to share myself among three boys who really do not want to share their mommy. Here is a typical scenario:

  • Callum spies Jack playing with a toy he wants. He snatches the toy and crawls away as quickly as possible. Jack falls to the floor in utter devastation, crying loud enough to alert the entire neighborhood.
  • I decide to right this wrong by giving Callum another toy and returning the stolen toy to Jack. Callum will not fall for it. When I take the toy from him, he falls to the floor in utter devastation, crying loud enough to alert the entire neighborhood.
  • William (who has been playing happily by himself) becomes overwhelmed by the noise his brothers are making and falls to the floor in utter devastation, crying loud enough to alert the entire neighborhood.
  • I give Jack the stolen toy and try to comfort Will, who seems to me to be the most innocent party.
  • Jack sees that William is in my lap and decides that he too needs comforting. He crawls over to us, climbs into my lap and pushes Will out of the way. William falls to the floor in utter devastation, crying loud enough to alert the entire neighborhood.
  • I tell Jack that he needs to share Mummy and try to fit both boys in my lap. Jack will have none of this sharing business, so he falls to the floor in utter devastation, crying loud enough to alert the entire neighborhood.
  • Meanwhile, Callum is still crying to beat the band and crawls over for a snuggle. I feel bad for him. He doesn't know that he can't just take his brother's toys. So, I try to make room for him on my lap too. This upsets William and Jack, who then fall to the floor in utter devastation, crying loud enough to alert the entire neighborhood. I try my best to comfort all three boys.
  • I can see that the situation is not improving, so I try to get all three boys off my lap so I can find something to distract them. You can probably predict what happens next... all three boys fall to the floor in utter devastation, crying loud enough to alert the entire neighborhood.

Please tell me this will not last forever.

2 comments:

Margot said...

As the parent of a 2-year-old, I haven't seen the light at the end of the tantrum tunnel yet, but am told it will come (I sure hope so, for sanity's sake!). In regards to sharing toys, one of my friends told me that at her son's daycare what they do is ask the child who was playing with the toy first to give the other child a turn when they are finished. She says it seems to work to avoid big blowouts over the toys.

The Old and the Restless said...

I love your description. Perhaps it made me laugh because I'm reading it from the point of view of a grandparent. I'm looking forward to seeing them when you move to Toronto.